Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Desolation of a Public Service Announcement


(What a greedy bastard.)

Today, I'm going to talk about a serious problem. Wild packs of abrupt endings are running rampant through our society. Yes, you read that right! The unexpected end of a movie and/or television show sequence are some of the most mentally dangerous things you can come across! So take heed: Here are some steps you can take to defend yourself!

1. Get a Lobotomy--your mind won't care if it can't care.
2. Sew your eyes shut and clog your ear canals.
3. Have your friends spoil everything for you so you'll see it coming.

Or, the most realistic and serious ones:
4. Expect the unexpected and go in with an open mind.

Alright, past the stupid metaphor, here's the real reason behind this bizarre post: I finally saw the Desolation of Smaug. I really liked it. Until (spoilers) I got to the end. And it ended. And I still liked it. I just didn't expect it to end on such an abrupt note. Of course, I shoul've seen it coming; it's a trilogy taken from a single book, split into three parts. Not to mention the first movie pretty well had a similar (although far less suspenseful) ending.

But it'd be different if it were just movies. Television is getting pretty weird, too--although the abrupt cutaways aren't so much from the endings as the commercials, now. There's literally no warning when a commercial cuts in, now. There's no fade-out to black. It'll be one scene of a show and then BAM! Commercial, which always initially confuses the hell out of me as my brain would tell me it's still part of the show until I see the IHOP logo, or whatever foodening place they decide to try and shove down my throat.

Sigh.

In other news, I've made another contribution to the art world with my painstakingly-scribbled doodles. Still working on my novel manuscript, so that's good. Started working at a radio station, so that's good. Lost 40 lbs. since the beginning of the year.

I stumbled into a conversation with a friend the other day about what I wanted to do with my life. He mentioned how video games were actually a viable career, and while it would sound pleasing to a lot of college-aged dorks like myself, I had to tell him it wasn't the path for me. And it led to a deeper conversation about some really personal stuff and the inner machinations of my enigmatic mind. (Cue the milk spilling.) No, moral of the story: I was emotionally scarred by being bullied as a child and since then have had an extremely low self-esteem and even when I should have let that go by now, I'm still letting myself be affected by it. I wanted to make something original and new and build a career off of just the talents I was born with, as I don't feel right making money from someone else, or making someone else money by being a mindless and meaningless cog in an overarching corporate system. I worked in an Energizer factory last summer, fresh outta high school and working 12-hour, full-time shifts. Yikes. Every night I stumbled out of the plant and nearly died on the way to my dad's car. Okay, that's an over-exaggeration. But I don't like the idea of working my ass off for nothing, while the people upstairs or down the hall, who don't do anything, make all their money off of me. Also, I'm a huge attention whore (one of my worst qualities) and I wanted to make something the world would love. Although, I feel this is for a more justified reason than a lot of other A-Ho's out there. I want to feel like everyone likes me, to make up for the times I felt like no one liked me.

I always feel an irrational need to prove myself to the world; to people I don't even know. Sometimes I need to slow down and think. I'm quite good at thinking. I'm not the greatest at thinking before acting.

So there. Now you know a little more about me, and a little about the dangers of abrupt movie endings.

Knowledge is power.


And feel free to hit that follow button at the bottom of the page! Tell all ya friends! I'll see you next time!

-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment